Glory

After a scarring failed attempt some weeks ago, I tried again; this time, with 620km of treacherous Taipei traffic experience under my belt.

My first run this morning had me smooth and straight, but too fast by a fraction of a second. My second (and final) try had me sailing through a lot slower, crossing over the end line of that stage just over the 7 seconds. So I figure the trick for me -- and I learned this through driving on the streets day after day -- is to give yourself a nice headstart, and burst the gas to get a bit of speed before you enter the stage. Then the gyro effects of the bike take over, the mysterious phenomenon where the bike kind of keeps itself balanced. [Note to self to look up how this actually works.] Then I just let the bike cruise and slow down, and gas a bit to get over the stage exit bump.

So, long story short, I guess you can't have one without the other. I am now fearless (of getting dinged $12,000 NTD for driving without a registered license). Look out, world!

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Congratulations, my fraternal sibling. You have now entered the ranks of legally driving illegally. All you need to do now is smash into a wall like I did, and then you will be an experience veteran.

Ben said...

I already did that. While holding onto my phone (but I wasn't on it at the time). With my scooter, without a valid riding license. Two days after I got it.

Funny thing, I think my scooter is faster now that I have a license. And I just noticed that my driving style is crazier when my license is in my pocket -- must be something to do with magnetic fields or change in weight-distribution or something.

Naomi said...

Apparently, not having a licence has its advantages, too, but I wouldn't count on it.