Park It There, Buddy!

In the Bay Area, drivers spend a considerable amount of time parking (or looking for it). And I always wonder how parking experts study the most efficient way to pack parking spots into a certain space.

wait, where did i park my car again?At what angle should those parking spots be? How narrow can they get that aisle? And why is it that no matter how much space there is between stalls, your neighbouring car always parks right on the line next to your car and leaves your vehicle riddled with dents and dings, while you're still sitting in it and then looks at you like you're invading their privacy?

I digress.

But I do wonder why the front of those angled parking spots aren't angled as well. Instead, most lots have a straight line that runs parallel to the aisle, so that you have to judge the distance based on the car's corner, not overall front bumper. You're just asking for it, because both cars might overshoot that corner, or undershoot it, leaving wasted space.

And don't tell me that you're assuming intelligence on the part of the driver. I think we can safely rule that out. Anywhere in the world.

Well, evidently, someone has made some design notes on the topic. I mean, this parking lot traffic flow issue is really a science, with visibility issues and car turning radii, and the whole shebang. And then it gets more complicated as you add multiple levels!

Heck, I didn't even know there was an international parking design standard. I'll bet those are a fun bunch of people to hang with at a party -- they're the ones rearranging where all the potluck dishes are, so that people can quickly and easily get their food, condiments, utensils, and napkins in the right order.

(Wait. That's me.)

No comments: