The Power in Numbers

I've had some rough times (emotional and other) since I've had my current number. So as part of my Lunar New Year fresh-start initiatives, I decided to blame it all on how many 4's are in my phone number (4). By using this as a scapegoat, I could eradicate the problem very easily!

So I changed my mobile phone number.

Linda with AT&T was very helpful, and I asked her to check for a particular area code, particular NXX prefix, and to avoid 4's while favouring 8's. She came back with two possible (last-four-digits): 5897 and 5935. I chose the latter because I didn't want "589" (which sounds like I won't prosper long). She was really nice, and waived the number change for me.

Then my sister pointed out that "593" sounds like I won't live long! D'oh. It started to bother me that I chose the wrong one. I'm not a particularly superstitious person, but heck, if I was going to do it, I wanted to do it right!

I got on the horn with AT&T again. May is African-American, so I explained what my reasoning for another number change was, and told her I was embarrassed to admit that I had chosen the unluckier number yesterday. We shared a good laugh about it, but the original 5897 was no longer available. D'oh (again). May went to great lengths to find me a suitable number: 7860.

Will changing a number bring better luck? From four 4's and one 8, to one 4 and four 8's? I dunno, but it cost me a pretty penny to do, so I'm going to convince myself that's why. Every little bit helps, right? Why not.

(If I end up one of those Chinese people who renovates a home because the qi isn't just right, slap me.)

No comments: