Who Sings This?

Some people listen to the radio and they usually know the song's name and artist, either from hearing it a lot or actively searching for that information. These are the people whom you can reliably ask, "Hey, who sings this?" and they'll know. At the extreme, these folks have their own copies of the song, maybe even the CD.

Then there are the other people, who listen to songs and just enjoy them. They sing along when it gets airtime, and they might know a lot of the lyrics too, but they have no idea who the artist is. It doesn't bother them that they don't know -- they'll just enjoy the song while it still gets airplay and when it goes away, they'll just float to the next top 40 song.

Which are you? Why do you think that is?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Im sorta on the fence. I know a ton of lyrics but I find I do not even think about what they mean. I just like the song and sing the words but just dont think/care of the meaning behind I just get into the beat.

Intriguing that I also know every 2,3 and 4 letter word in the English language but id guess i only know about 5% of the meanings :)

Ben said...

Yeah, I used to "need" to know the artists of all the songs I enjoyed, but it was mostly in the spirit of being able to have their whole album -- if I liked one song, that might mean I'd like a lot more of their songs.

Lately, I've been rather lax and lazy about it; I'll just listen to the song while it's on the radio, and probably much later on, I'll find out (per chance) who sang it. Then, after that, I'll be able to obtain it to play on my iPod.

Naomi said...

I usually like to know the artist, so that I can find their stuff (same reason as Ben's), sing along... I find in a clubbing environment (however rare), I prefer to know the song, because then you can dance appropriately. :) I don't really care about who the artist is, in the sense that - hey, I like the song, and it doesn't bother me that it's Britney, or Enrique Iglesias, or whomever.