Still Lookin', Thanks

It was because of the holidays. The holidays always force me to eat out more often, to wine and dine with friends as the only way to spend my time. It was because of the holidays, that I had to eat out so much and had to completely disregard an otherwise semi-healthy lifestyle comprised of low-fat, low-carb, high-protein intakes and regular gym visits.

It was the holidays, I tell ya. Honest.

And somehow, amidst all the delicious yummies in my tummy, the servers at those restaurants never seem to get it. They always come by when we're still looking at the menu

"Hi, do you know what would you like to order yet?"


My first reaction is one of surprise, surprised that we're being approached this early in the game. The follow-up reaction (close on the tails of the first one, but not quite as quick) is one of disbelief. I mean, isn't the official signal of being meal-order-ready that we close our menus and wait? Until then, don't we just have our menus open as we're still trying to decide which of their dishes we would like to palate that day?

Maybe I'm the one who doesn't get it.

7 comments:

Naomi said...

Well, if they come immediately, then you can't complain about lousy service (no waiter being around). I mean, for all they know, you could be ordering the same double hot spicy chili with extra bean dip and jalapenos and Tums on the side that you order every Thursday night, and not need to know. Or you might need to know the specials or order your bevies.

Mike said...

Speaking of working out... When are you gonna start again? I am in need of getting back into shape fast too.. you know I have a hard deadline to meet now.. ;)

head dump said...

You're probably just used to the slow service you've been receiving down here. The one where you put the menu down and try to flag the waiter. Then as he approaches you pick up your menu again because it's been so long you've forgotten what you wanted. He then see's you picking up the menu, thinks you're not ready then walks away again. You put your menu down and try to flag the waiter. Then as he approaches....

Kevin said...

Unbelievably, my "holiday" feasting was very much the same as my weekly feasting. Usually a boxed meal (bian dang) at one of a few restaurants near work, and then a dinner bian dang provided by work... Hmm...

But on the upside, I ordered 150 lbs of dumbbell plates and they came in (to the office)! I'm so excited. I used them yesterday for the first time to do some reverse flies and shoulder flies. This will give me 80lb dumbbells for when I get there!

Cindy said...

Ben Ben, how are u? How much weight did u gain? Or did u not? by the way, when do u start your new job?!? :D

S said...

> isn't the official signal of being meal-order-ready that we close our menus and wait?

Wow =) My experience of being ignored by servers has taught me to try to place my order with the host/ess while being shown to my table.

Ben said...

I think, if the server wants to provide prompt presence (to protect their anticipated tip), an option is to come up to the table shortly after being seated. But instead of asking if the diners are ready to order, they should start off with taking drink orders, or at least to read the specials. Then they can go away, and the diners will have time to peruse the menus at their leisure and consider the specials. (Sometimes, the servers tell you the specials and then immediately ask for your order. Doesn't seem fair for an unrushed decision, does it?)

As for picking up the menu again (even after you've already decided), I always do that. I'm not sure why. It could have been just 30 seconds earlier, but those menu items typically don't last long in my short-term memory. When the server comes over, I still have to pick the menu up, flip it open and read off the exact menu item. (Besides, sometimes they have similar-sounding items and it's easy to have a misunderstanding, then disappointment that you didn't get what you thought you ordered.)

And sometimes I'm not sure what I want to order the moment I step in the restaurant (or am shown to my table). That's what leads to this whole slightly-annoying situation.