Squeaky Clean

That's four times in the past two weeks now.

I'm sitting there in the restaurant, minding my own business, with my purchased (or to-be-purchased) food. And I'm eating it. I'm not being gross, nor am I being obnoxious, and I believe my etiquette to be completely acceptable.

But somehow, the cleaning crew takes my dining experience as a cue to begin cleaning. And I mean more than just wiping the table next to us. They embark on major industrial-strength cleaning tasks like:

- pushing all the chairs together at the food court
- scrubbing the table feet with a brush and soap
- vacuuming the floor around us
- sweeping dust and other air pollutants

I mean, come on. These are rather respectable establishments, so it's not necessarily some ghetto joint. But a little respect please? Why be doing the cleaning in and around me, while I'm eating??

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Ben, it's closing time. People have families to back to. Must you eat so late?! By the way, where are u? Are u still in SF? How's your new place? When do u start travelling? Happy holidays! :D

Thoughts said...

When I worked in a restaurant and it was closing time, we do a lot of things on purpose to try to get the customers to leave so we can go home. We'd turn off all the music or crank it up really loud with our own music, turn off all the lights around the table and only have their one section lite, start hanging out around the front area of the restaurant and talk really loud and start our staff meals. Being the cashier and all, I'd also walk by the customers table a lot to make sure they got the hint that we needed them to pay...and when they didn't get the hint...I'd just straight out tell them we needed them to pay. What do you expect minimum wage people to do...stay around another hour so that they can make another $7?

Cindy said...

There u go, Ben, someone is asking for time and half pay! Thought should havd work for The City! Ha Ha!