Holiday Side Effects

Bah. Humbug. I don't love Christmas as much as I used to, and I never believed in Santa Claus -- even before I knew that he couldn't exist. Before I could look up the mathematical calculations, before I could read poems about other people's investigations, before we could even use NORAD to track Santa's alleged whereabouts.

But it'll all be over in a day. And the mad rush to the malls won't be for last-minute gifts that you swear you would get done early, but end up doing on December 24 every year anyhow. No, the rush will be to the Boxing Day sales, and to the returns / exchanges counters instead. After all, what the heck are you going to do with that wool-knit reindeer sweater that's two sizes too big? Or with that tie imprinted with someone else's name on it?

On the other side, I take this chance to enjoy some of the random little acts of kindness and selflessness that people feel compelled to grant around this time of year. Little things like giving you returns or doing little things for complete strangers (ie: me) ... just under the simple guise that "it's Christmas". It's a refreshing change from the regular rat race of the get-out-of-my-way-if-you're-not-doing-something-I-can-benefit-from world. It's just noticeable that people are more cheery around Christmas; reap the benefits of that!

And while the cheery mall choirs and carols might be nauseating to some, I find that they do kind of put a chipper mood in me. Blinking lights, a little egg nog or "special Christmas punch", some repetitively mind-numbing Christmas chants, and I'm suddenly a slave to the spirit of commercial subliminal messaging.

No comments: