I Finally Heard It

So I'm landed and settled back at my parents' place for the holidays, and I'm kickin' back in the living room. I flip on the ol' idiot box to catch the 10 o'clock news. And then I heard it.

"... help them 'oot'."


The newscaster said "out", and I heard it as "oot". I mean, I don't suppose she says it in any manner different than I might have said it too, but I was pretty sure it sounded like "oot". I sat there, rather shocked that I had flipped sides. I couldn't believe it.

It was slow and subtle, but it's starting to happen: I'm starting to speak American. Luckily, I'll have a few weeks here to fix that right up and get my Canadian pronunciations back!

4 comments:

Naomi said...

You, traitor, you.

When I see you next, I'll make sure to smack some Canadiana back into you. (Maybe with a hint of Taiwana?! =P)

miscmusings said...

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I was going to comment last time we hung out that I hadn't noticed your "oot" quite as much. =)

Ben said...

Ugh. I keep hearing it everywhere. It's starting to get to me now.

It's not the irritation that people say "oot"; that doesn't bother me. The part that bothers me really is that I notice it as "different". It's discouraging to realize that I've skipped to the other side of the linguistic fence. "Out." "Out." "I must get out."

miscmusings said...

now you know why we always commented on your speech ;-)