The Student Becomes The Teacher

It was three years ago I stepped into this office as "the new guy". Three years of not being particularly happy with my job, and finally realizing while there were neat things to learn and play with here, that it would eventually lead me nowhere upwards.

Yesterday, the tables turned.

um ... yeah ...You'd think that having an extra person around to do my bidding and my work would make life easier around here. You'd think it would take the load off a little, ease my responsibilities. It will eventually, but it hasn't yet. In fact, I kind of feel more loaded, because now I'm responsible for two people. I have the load of two people to consider, to manage, all that.

And I vy that I don't become the boss I had before; I want to be continually concerned with the job satisfaction of my new underling, to be able to keep motivated and elevate the level of excitement in the workplace. It's my job now to make sure this place has the kind of culture and environment I'd want to work in.

It's a strange feeling to realize that I'm really training my replacement. On purpose.

No comments: