How's Everything?

So you're sitting at your table, and they serve your food. And then they get you before you have a chance to eat.

"Would you like fresh ground black pepper? Would you like some freshly grated parmesan cheese on it?"


I mean, how would I know? I haven't even tried the food yet; how would I know if I need some extra seasoning or toppings on it??* Don't I have to try some first??

Then your waitress/waiter leaves to tend to other tables, and returns almost immediately to inquire about the food.

"How is everything so far?"
"Well, I haven't touched it yet, but it looks good."


hey there, how may i serve you?I mean, they just want to know if there are any problems. They don't seem to actually care about anything else, like something as irrelevant as if you've even eaten it yet. Maybe it's just part of the service, a headstart on the tip-grovelling work, but it sure doesn't seem to add much value to my restaurant experience, does it?

---
* I read that in some cultures, it's actually insulting to add spice to the food, because it implies that the chef hasn't made the dish salty / spicy / cheesy enough.

7 comments:

Kevin Cheng said...

For sushi, if you're eating from a really good chef, it's a pretty bad idea to dip the sushi in soya sauce and/or wasabi because they've put the exact portions they want on the dish already. Each piece of sushi is a dish remember.

Ben said...

Oops. No wonder they seem to be refraining from spitting in the second and third rolls that I order!

Anonymous said...

i haven't encountered this situation yet. however, i've been in others where the waiter doesn't wait for you to finish your food before actually clearing the table!

it's a mistake to put down your fork/spoon if you want to rest/digest for a while and chit-chat with your companion(s). the waiter will take it as a sign that you're done with the food, so he can clear everything up.

hmph..

[k]

Cindy said...

I just remember an experience that we had long time ago. We were at this restaurant for buffet. The waiter must be either new or full of energy, we just put down our forks to talk, he took my son’s plate. When he came by the second time, we all hung onto the plates and had to let him know that we were not finished. It was so wear and funny. The sign of finished is to put both fork and knife together slended on the right side of the plate! Do u know that?!

Ben said...

I've had an experience while eating at El Torito in Milpitas, probably around 9pm that weekday evening. Shortly after we were seated, our food arrived. And shortly after that, they brought out the vacuum cleaner and were doing the carpets while our party was still eating! I mean, come on. Seriously.

Cindy said...

That's the international sign of " Hurry up! Get out!" :)

Ben said...

Yeah, I realized that, so i returned with the international payment action that means "I wasn't impressed with your service."