It's In The Water

Notice that none of the bottled water bottles are flat all round? They all have molded shapes or some kind of un-flat structure to them instead of being straight cylinders. I figure this design has two purposes: one is for rigidity and the other for looks.

drink meMaking the bottle rippled means the walls of your beloved bottle become stronger, and won't buckle too easily. Good for you when you're drinking, and good for the company when they're shipping this stuff to you!

But the second reason I think they're rippled / shaped the way they are, is for the look. I figure it's primarily for the way the water flows when it comes out of the bottle. If it were flat, the water would just pour out plainly. The water just looks so refreshing as you tilt the bottle to replenish yourself, even before the water has reached your lips. But with those ripples and angles along the sides of the bottle, it flows out like a clean stream or a babbling brook or a crisp Alaskan river.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I thought it is for easy handling when you do spill the water, it doesn't slip out of your hand! No? or, maybe it is for someone like you whom like to imagine!?

S said...

I used to have a water bottle that was triangular shaped. It was my favorite water bottle of all time. But I lost it somewhere and I was so sad when I found out they didn't make them anymore. The company had switched to boring round bottles like everyone else =C I can't remember the brand now.

W gets so mad at me when I buy things, not for the merchandise, but just for the cool containers =)

Anonymous said...

Rounded sides and extra bevels and ripples do add a lot more strength to the containers.

Not that it's a bad thing but you notice how plastic bottles, aluminum cans are super thin compared to 15-20 years ago? I remember those pop/soda cans were almost impossible to crush.

Ben said...

Maybe they're not thinner -- maybe you're just way stronger now. I dunno, could be. (But actually, no, I didn't notice that subtle change, though I imagine they're just better at making them so it doesn't really need to structurally be that thick anymore.)