You know that saying? "Six of one, half dozen of the other." It generally means that two things are the same (possibly slightly different).

But wait, a baker's dozen is 13 of something, not 12. So then ... one might say, "Six-and-a-half of one, half-a-baker's-dozen of the other." I guess they didn't really think that one through when they started saying that, huh. And anyway, why do baker's get one more in their dozens? What makes them so special?

Can you go into a donut shop and ask for a baker's dozen? Will the people behind the counter give you a knowing nod, as if you told them the secret password that only special insiders know? Like going to that metal door in the back of the grungy bar and telling the guy (who slid open his metal grate peekhole), "Ken sent me." You could walk up to the counter, all suave, and look the lady in the eye. "I'll have a dozen of the original glazed. And make it a Baker's."

I think I'm going to ask that next time at Krispy Kreme. And then I'll ask for one of those hot-off-the-assembly-line-freshly-doused-in-the-icing-waterfall samples. That's 14: seven of one, a Krispy Kreme half-dozen of the other.

No comments: