Why are sausages always curved? I watch the Food Network a lot, and whenever they have a machine that makes sausages, they always come out curved. This is normally not a catastrophic disaster, but sure makes browning their surfaces evenly a hard task to do! Unless you are browning more than, say, three of them at once, you are basically stuck with two browned surfaces and the rest might be raw.

Seeing the machine, I can't figure out why it has to be curved all the time, except that perhaps the plastic tubing just isn't manufactured totally evenly. And, knowing the kind of anal science that goes into all types of foods to make the taste / keep / cook better, why not put some effort into creating straight sausages?

Of course, my interim solution is to (1) buy fully cooked sausages first, so I don't kill myself eating raw sausage meat; (2) microwave them before browning them, so they cooked from the inside; (3) scoring at a slant throughout, to let the heat penetrate faster. Still. I think they should put a little thought into straightening out the sausages.

No comments: