Move It ... I

It's interesting how we take certain luxuries for granted, how in this material world we have started seeing all sorts of things as necessities. For instance, after my last trip overseas (a month ago), I brought back a luggage case with clothes and items in it that I "absolutely needed to have on-hand" while back here. That suitcase remained untouched for the most part until last week.

Clearly, a lot of things I thought I wouldn't really be able to live without, I already had been! It means that my life really could be a lot simpler, a lot fewer headaches.

Packing for a move really brings this to light. I've lived in this apartment for three years now, and it's incredible how much crap I've accumulated. And it's interesting because usually I "find" things that I forgot I had -- which means I didn't really need to have it around.

Packing for a move really brings that to light, too. Because in packing, one hopes to reduce one's moving volume as much as possible -- after all, volume and weight become dollars when you pay someone to ship that stuff for you.

So here I go, trying to lighten the load ...

3 comments:

miscmusings said...

ebay your stuff =)

hougee said...

i did accumulate some stuff over the years.. but i thought it wasn't so bad... most of the stuff i accumulated are records and clothings... records are heavy!!! very heavy...

Ben said...

So here I am, all moved out. Turns out my ex-roommates only took what they wanted from the apartment, and then left everything else for me to clean up or throw out. How nice and considerate of them. Took me 5 hours to take care of that stuff, and now I'm at my new (temporary) digs for the next few weeks. I'll bring the stuff in from the borrowed (company) truck tomorrow morning -- too tired and sick of moving to do it right now.