The Lime Part is Key

So I was watching the Food Network some time ago ... it was an episode on Florida, and all the secret places to go. I think it was Rachel Ray's "$40 a Day", actually. And they had a little bit on key limes and what they can make with it.

Then it suddenly dawned on me that I've never had key lime pie before. Ever in my life. I imagine it just tastes like creamy limes in a pie, but I wouldn't mind trying a good one. So last night, while dining with friends at Max's Opera Cafe -- where the waiters sing live while you dine, it's pretty cool -- I tried some.

It was alright. And I had a second opinion that it wasn't very good (since I didn't have much basis for this). So ... what's a decent/good place in the Bay Area to get some for my second key-lime tasting?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forget the key lime pie. The chocolate eclair is where it's at.
-CY

Ben said...

CY, that damned chocolate eclair was as big as my head! It was HUGE, and with two of us, we didn't even finish it -- and that's a ONE-person serving??

It's an 8"-long-4"-wide puff pastry, overstuffed with vanilla and chocolate custard, then dipped in dark chocolate. It's pure carb fuel: perfect for the low-protein, high-carb, high-fat diets of today. I still have some in the fridge -- I'm hesitant to tackle it again.

Though I could really go for a moist carrot cake right now.

hougee said...

lime pie ehh.. umm.. i've never been to florida but i'll be sure to try the pie when i go :D

newayz.. totally off topic.. but i need to lose weight :P

Cindy said...

I see what you mean HG!!! :D