"I'm going to be a dad in May." When I heard those words, mixed emotions rushed at me from all directions.

A flood of happiness engulfed me, and I celebrated from the heart for a dear friend (of over 20 years). I know this responsibility is well-rested on his shoulders and that he will provide more than enough love, comfort, and warmth for his wife and child-to-be. I can't wait to play with the baby! Babies, babies, babies!

And at the same time, a strange sadness -- or is it fear -- fell over me, further striking the chord that I am somehow behind. Don't get me wrong; I don't want a baby right now. There's no way I could afford to raise him/her the way I would want to; I can barely manage raising me! (And anyway, a spouse needs to come first.) But it all points to the same thing: I'm not where I need (or want) to be at this point in my life.

Cheers to T&M on the new addition! Love you both.

No comments: