Photo Forgotten

I spent a very long time in selecting the "right" digital camera for my needs and wants. With a digital camera, I know that if it's too bulky or heavy, I won't take many pictures with it because I'll simply not carry it with me much. So I'd rather spend a tad bit more and get a camera that is light and compact, and can "follow me" wherever I go -- that's when the value in having a camera comes out!

So I bring it with me to the malls sometimes, to all the parties I (used to) go to, and snowboarding! You never know when you might catch a Kodak moment, right? Problem is, I get to the restaurant for a get-together dinner with an out-of-town visitor (or friend visiting home) and unload my BatBelt of gadgets -- phone, keys, camera, Bluetooth headset -- into a little pile in the corner of the table or on the side somewhere. And that's where it sits through the meal, even when all the food is cleared away, leaving only water/tea rings and crumpled napkins. Hardly worthy of a photo.

But that's not when I remember it. I only remember that I have my camera (and that I want a photo) when we're getting up to leave. And that's, quite frankly, too late for a photo that does justice to the evening. It's also why I have so many photos of get-together dinners: all of us standing together outside the restaurant (or in the main reception area of the place) just before we all part ways. I hate that.

2 comments:

head dump said...

when the food comes the last thing on your mind is taking a picture. That's a tough one to remember. Take a picture of someone else's dish instead. You got good zoom on that camera?

Ben said...

I think it's more that I like to have a photo-documentary of all my life events, including candid dinner-with-friends shots and such. But I don't want to be that annoying guy who's always taking photos and such. So sometimes it's me forgetting to take a photo, and sometimes it's me not wanting to be a shutterbug when people are trying to enjoy the moment/event.