... and Violets are Blue

Ah, perhaps the most over-rated "holiday" of the year comes upon us once more. A day that annually strongarms us into showing our affections/emotions for our special someones (as applicable). The one holiday out of the year that's almost specifically targeted at alienating the single people who haven't succumbed to societal expectations to take that "logical" next step in life towards interdependency and compromise. And a day that we all somehow accept and follow along with quietly (baa baa). As if everyday shouldn't already be a day that we're celebrating our love, right?

Now, I'm not necessarily against Valentine's Day, but I'm also not especially for this day either. Take this month as a reminder for those you love -- near and far, said and unsaid -- instead of having to hone in on this one day.

This is the one day for which the majority of cut flowers are sold. Today, we'll all watch as flower prices skyrocket, and men all over the world reluctantly hand their credit cards over to giddy florists. A dozen decent roses will run these fellows upwards of $80, if they want them with greens and baby's breath -- which sounds like an option, but really isn't.

You can't just buy one -- protocol for this day explicitly dictates you buy 12. Don't believe me? Read the unwritten handbook from last year, aka your significant other's expectations. And if the quality and size of the rosebud weren't enough, florists and conspired to differentiate their products by the length of the stems attached!

I am against buying roses, though. Personally. In my life, I've probably only bought roses on three occasions, and never have I purchased a dozen reds, and never on Valentine's Day. Instead, I opt to buy flowers of different types: daisies, tulips, larkspurs, stargazers (which, when white, are actually called Monte Carlos). And never red, if I can help it.

4 comments:

S said...

http://www.livejournal.com/~bride/2004/02/15/

This will be the 12th year in a row that he's forgotten =)

Ben said...

So ... as long as I give up the nicest piece of cake / dessert, I don't have to worry about V Day?

Damn, I feel like having some cake now.

head dump said...

I personally find flowers to be a burden. Don't get me wrong, I do like them, they're beautiful, but I have to take care of them after, then throw them away when they die...it's a pain to toss a bouquet 'cuz they don't fit easily into a bag.

Ben said...

I just had a conversation with a friend who received a dozen reds from her boyfriend. She was overjoyed at this; she's never received a dozen before, and this gave him some serious bonus points (and probably some rewards too).

She's never received a dozen roses in her life! I told her why I didn't send my girls roses normally, and she told me a lot of guys probably also wanted not to do the "regular thing" ... which led to the opposite effect: a dozen reds suddenly is a rarity??

What do you think??