Food for One

An interesting topic on Head Dump brought up some discussion about cooking simply and easily, while breaking the vicious instant noodle menu template. The main problem is that cooking for one person isn't really economical -- the cost of your ingredients often exceeds the cost of going out for a quick meal. Especially if you're cooking Chinese food. So then most of us resort to instant and processed frozen and canned foods, but most of these instant foods are high in carbs and high in sodium. (Take a look at your can of beef/chicken soup.)

Thankfully, there are ways around this. I mean, you're better off buying something like the rotisserie chicken at Costco, which will easily feed you for a few days with a variety of meat: dark meats to eat on their own, white meats to heat up (nuke) over your ready-made salads.

Salads are very convenient, and dirt cheap at Costco; slightly more at Safeway. (Buy the jet-washed stuff to remove final excuses not to eat your veggies.) Plus, you can use it with any meat into a sandwich with little work.

And I love buying those country-mix frozen veggies (peas, carrots, beans, corn), which microwave quickly in a bowl of water with a tiny sprinkle of salt and optional sliver of butter. Two minutes, drain the water out, and you've got a veggie side on the table!

What I find works is "strategically" buying groceries. I buy a few things that I have to eat that day or the next before they'll be not-so-appetizing; raw seafood, for example, are best eaten soon. I buy a few things that will last nicely for a few more days; sometimes steaks are good for this, and fresh ripe fruit. And then some things can last a little bit longer (ie. 4+ days) like deli meats (when packaged right) and fruit that aren't quite ripe and some of the bready stuff.

I find that if you pre-cut or pre-slice some staple ingredients and freeze them, cooking is made infinitely easier. I usually pre-julienne my ginger, slice up green onions, pre-dice regular onions, and pre-proportion the pesto sauce (in an ice tray) to freeze them -- then all stored in freezer-grade ziplock bags. So whenever I need some of those, it's not another task to get them ready -- just reach in and grab whatever you need! (If you freeze and store it right, you can avoid freezer burn on it.

And then always keep a small selection of decently healthy frozen foods (TV dinners or nuker snacks) to tide you over in case you're really in a bind. (Snack bars or trail mix nuts work too.) Then you're ready to go.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Ben, u make a very good "housewife"! :) I can see u in a skirt! Hee Hee!

Ben said...

Yeah, I think I would.

As for the skirt, that was a long time ago and it was just for fun, and I never wore another one ever again.

Cindy said...

PICTURE, PICTURE, got to see this one, please!

S said...

That reminds me, our crockpot has fallen into a state of disuse. It's a humongous 6qt (which is about 5 servings) that I'd always meant to make lots and lots of food with, then freeze into our own little tv dinners. But, somehow, it all gets eaten and there's nothing left to freeze. =P

head dump said...

I like that pesto sauce in ice cube tray idea. Very clever. Cooking for one is hard. I watch the food network to get ideas, but they always cook with lots of ingredients that makes it uneconomical for one. Herbs and vegetables don't come in single portions! Luckily there's bulk vegetables available now if I just want to grab a handful. Another difference w/ TV, I noticed when I'm cooking is that there's no sound effects. My salt and pepper shaker just don't sound the same as Emeril's. And my steak doesn't sizzle as lively.

Ben said...

As much as I can, I portion my foods for quick preparation. I forgot where I got that tip for the pesto, but I've been doing that for years -- freezing them in the ice trays and then when they're as frozen as they'll get (because they're oil-based, they're always just a little soft) transfer them over to ziplocks. Don't forget that pesto and cream sauces are for gently heating when serving only -- otherwise the oils/creams will separate and make it not as delectable. :-)

Most of the Food Network doesn't cater to single-person cooking. Especially not Alton Brown, who somehow assumes everybody has a room full of freezers to keep flash-frozen yummies in there (for year-round enjoyment, after collecting as they're in season).

As for the Emeril stuff, you know you can just say "Bam!" whenever you want, right?

Your steaks likely don't sizzle as lively as his does because you either need some expensive stainless steel cookware or some iron skillets. Either material will allow you to get the cooking surface high enough to properly sear steaks and get that serious browning going. Your run-of-the-mill non-stick stuff won't get that high, and will end up sort of frying/sogging stuff like that.

Damn, now I'm really hungry.