YVR -> SFO (3)

"Are you the caravan crew?"

Tessa-with-a-red-minivan from Oakland approached us, wanting to join. News travelled fast, and I guess we already had a name. Some people who were originally interested had backed out (one guy driving a pickup truck while towin another pickup), and we were the three left. Within a few minutes, we had advice from locals and were on our way for another adventure.

We somehow lost Tessa after the first gas station, where we got the best route to I-5 north. I was in lead with Noah in tow -- he drove slower because he lost his wallet earlier and was being careful. At Grants Pass, we filled at the Arco (touted the "cheapest gas around" by a Redding local who frequents the area) and had a Tessa sighting before she disappeared again.

Westward ho along the 199! Rain was light, but it was a small road (hardly a highway) through tiny antique towns. I was treated to sights of round red trucks carrying (wet) hay, old rusted water heaters in unkept yards, houses built decades before I was born, and gas stations charging arms-and-legs over the price we got.

Through Smith National Park, the road began a steep and steady descent, winding its serpentine way for another 25 miles before opening up to 101-S and arriving at Crescent City. Noah and I felt comfortable with the rest of the drive home (me to SF, him to LA) and we parted ways here.

redwoods left and rightI continued my drive through hundreds of miles while rains came down, varying from light drizzles to torrential rainstorms. Then came Redwood National Park -- the US-101 is also known as Redwood Highway, aptly named for the plentiful redwood trees lining the highway on either side. It's actually quite a beautiful drive when you're not in a rush to get home and when it's not raining. (Attempts to snap photos while hurtling down the highway were rather feeble.)

My progress was helped by a few speeders whom I tagged behind -- I wasn't bold enough to take the lead while speeding, knowing the constant threat of "Radar Enforced by Aircraft". (Highway patrols were rumoured to enjoy speeding tickets as extra income to their towns.)

all i could see while drivingAt times, the rains plus the sprays from cars ahead rendered my vision useless! The rain came down so hard that I had blind moments where I feared for my safety! Left. Straight. Left again. Right. Brake. I could only depend on lights from the vehicles immediately ahead to be my eyes. And my Nokia indicated that these areas provided "No service" anywhere from AT&T -- any breakdown meant sure misery.

The 101 wound itself through downtown cores of several small cities, an unwelcome "scenic route" thrust upon me with still hundreds of miles to go. Cellular service was spotty as I updated family on my whereabouts.

"Still X miles from San Francisco. Yes, everything is fine. Tell Mom I have enough food. Hello? You're breaking up. Whoa, it's raining really hard now -- I have to concentrate on driving. I'll call later."

At 6:00pm, I had escaped the treacherous mountainous terrain and unfamiliar towns: Sonoma County welcomed me by emptying clouds its on me (a common theme for today). Then I gassed up in Petaluma and was battling rough traffic there. (The gas tank probably could have lasted another 45 miles, but my bladder wouldn't.) I'd never been so happy to see Novato before!

By 8:30pm, I was just happy to be home. My bags poured onto the livingroom floor, and a nice hot shower was the welcome I was looking forward to. The news showed that they had just re-opened the highway at 11pm Monday night. Had I stayed in Ashland, I would only now be braving the night drive through the Siskiyou Pass.

I think I'll avoid driving for a while.